Faculty Profile - Yamille del Valle
National Electric Energy Research, Testing & Applications Center
5351 Kennedy Road
Forest Park, GA 30297
Yamille del Valle is a native of Antofagasta, Chile. She received a dual bachelor's degree in industrial engineering and electrical engineering from Catholic University of Chile in 2001. Later on, she received the master's degree and Ph.D. degree from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 2005 and 2009, respectively.
While working in her graduate studies, Dr. delValle developed optimization algorithms for solving the problem of optimization of power system performance using FACTS devices. After completion of her Ph.D. degree, she joined the National Electric Energy Testing Research and Applications Center (NEETRAC), where she works as a research engineer in the assessment section.
At NEETRAC, Dr. DelValle develops tools for knowledge preservation on paper cable systems, interpretation of cable diagnostic data, failure data analysis, and asset management prioritization at transmission and distribution levels. She is also working to learn the practical aspects of power systems and high voltage testing of electrical components.
- Power system stability and control
- Optimization of power system performance
- Application of FACTS and D-FACTS devices in power systems
- Knowledge-based systems to preserve utility practices
- Condition assessment of underground cable systems
- Asset management of transmission and distribution assets
Distinctions & Patents
- Third place at Student Poster Contest, Power Engineering Society General Meeting (2007)
- Third place at ECE Graduate Research Fair, Georgia Institute of Technology (2007)
- Second place at Student Poster Contest, Power Engineering Society General Meeting (2006)
- Georgia Tech Women's Forum Scholarship, Georgia Institute of Technology (2005)
- Y. del Valle, "Optimization of Power System Performance using FACTS Devices: A Robust Optimization Framework to Improve Steady State and Transient Performance". LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing. ISBN-10: 3843371229, ISBN-13: 978-3843371223
- Y. del Valle, G. K. Venayagamoorthy, and R. G. Harley, “Optimal Allocation of FACTS devices using Evolutionary Computation Techniques”, Book Chapter, Computational Intelligence for Power System Transmission , edited by Venayagamoorthy, G.K., Hingorani, N., Harley R.G., IEEE-Wiley Press, to be published.
- Y. del Valle, J. Perkel, G.K. Venayagamoorthy, and R.G. Harley, “Optimal allocation of FACTS devices: Classical vs Metaheuristic Approaches”. SAIEE Transactions , Vol. 100, No. 1, March 2009, pp: 12-23.
- Y. del Valle, G.K. Venayagamoorthy, S. Mohagheghi,, J. C. Hernandez, and R.G. Harley, “Particle Swarm Optimization: Basic Concepts, Variants and Applications in Power System”. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation , Vol. 12, No. 2, April 2008, pp. 171-195.
- S. Mohagheghi, Y. del Valle, G.K. Venayagamoorthy and R.G. Harley, “A Proportional-Integrator Type Adaptive Critic Design Based Neurocontroller for a Static Compensator in a Multimachine Power System”. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics . Vol. 54, No.1, February 2007, pp. 86-96.
- J. Dixon, Y. del Valle, M. Orchard, M. Ortúzar, L. Moran, and C. Maffrand. “A Full Compensating System for General Loads Based on a Combination of Thyristor Binary Compensator and a PWM-IGBT Active Power Filter”. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics . Vol. 50, No. 5, October 2003, pp. 982-989.
- Y. del Valle, M. Digman, A. Gray, J. Perkel, G. K. Venayagamoorthy, and R. G. Harley, “Enhanced Particle Swarm Optimizer for Power System Applications”, Proceedings of the IEEE Swarm Intelligence Symposium (SIS'08) , 2008. St. Louis, MO, Septiembre 21-23, 2008.
- S. Mohagheghi, Y. del Valle, G.K. Venayagamoorthy, and R.G. Harley, “Hierarchical Control Scheme for two Static Compensators in the Brazilian 45-Bus Power System”, Proceedings of the IEEE Power Systems Conference and Exposition (PSCE) 2006 , Atlanta, Georgia, USA, October 29 – November 30, 2006, pp. 860 - 864.
- Y. del Valle, J.C. Hernandez, G.K. Venayagamoorthy, and R.G. Harley, “Multiple STATCOM Allocation and Sizing Using Particle Swarm Optimization”, Proceedings of the IEEE Power Systems Conference and Exposition (PSCE) 2006 , Atlanta, GA, October 29 – November 30, 2006, pp. 1884 - 1891.
- S. Mohagheghi, Y. del Valle, W. Qiao, G.K. Venayagamoorthy, R.G. Harley, D.M. Falcao, G.N. Taranto, and T.M.L. Assis, “Steady State and Transient Behaviour of a Fuzzy-Based Controlled STATCOM Placed by Eigenvalue Analysis in 45 Bus Brazilian Power System”, Proceedings of the X SEPOPE Symposium of Specialists in Electric Operational and Expansion Planning , Florianopolis, Brazil, May 21–25, 2006, pp. 1-11.
- G.K. Venayagamoorthy, Y. del Valle, S. Mohagheghi, W. Qiao, S. Ray, R.G. Harley, D.M. Falcao, G.N. Taranto, and T.M.L. Assis, “Effects of a STATCOM, a SCRC and a UPFC on the Dynamic Behavior of a 45 Bus Section of the Brazilian Power System”, Proceedings of the Inaugural IEEE PES 2005 Conference and Exposition in Africa , Durban, South Africa, July 11-15, 2005, pp. 305-312.